For readers looking for an update on US EPA FIFRA regulatory, policy and program implementation efforts, consider attending the Pesticide Program Dialogue Committee (PPDC) Meeting: Wednesday April 20 & Thursday April 21, 2011.
PPDC meetings provide a forum for a diverse group of stakeholders to provide feedback to the EPA Office of Pesticide Programs on various pesticide regulatory, policy and program implementation issues.
The PPDC meeting is open to the public. Attend in person at EPA’s Potomac Yard Conference Center (2777 Crystal Drive, Arlington, VA) or dial-in to the meeting (Conference Line: 1-866-299-3188; conference Code: 703-308-4775#).
The agenda, information about workgroups and past meetings can be accessed at http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/ppdc/.
Topics to be discussed at this week’s meeting include:
Tuesday April 20, 2011
• Integrated Pest Management (see e.g., http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/factsheets/ipm.htm)
• Spray Drift (see e.g., http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/ppdc/2010/dec2010/session5-drift.pdf )
• Inerts Disclosure (see e.g., http://www.epa.gov/opprd001/inerts/inertdisclosure.html)
• Water Quality/Drinking Water (see e.g., http://water.epa.gov/lawsregs/rulesregs/sdwa/dwstrategy/index.cfm)
• Pollinator Protection (see e.g., http://www.epa.gov/opp00001/ecosystem/pollinator/index.html)
• Children/Worker Risk Protection (see e.g., http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/health/worker-rsk-assmnt.html)
• OPP Strategic Directions (see e.g., http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/science/testing-assessment.html)
• Improving Regulations (see e.g., http://epa.gov/oppfead1/cb/csb_page/updates/2011/ppdc-regreview.html)
• Comparative Safety Statements (see e.g., http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/ppdc/compara-safety/index.html)
• Public Health Issues—Bed Bugs, Lyme Disease Prevention (see e.g., http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/ppdc/public-health/index.html)
Wednesday April 21, 2011
• Endangered Species (see e.g., http://www.epa.gov/espp/, http://www.nmfs.noaa.gov/pr/consultation/pesticides.htm)
• Clean Water Act Pesticide General Permit (see e.g., http://cfpub.epa.gov/npdes/home.cfm?program_id=410) (Also note, the ABA is hosting a program focused solely on this permit April 27–The NPDES Pesticide General Permit: Perspectives from the Hill, EPA, the Regulated Community, and Environmental Advocates. For registration information see http://www2.americanbar.org/calendar/the-npdes-pesticide-general-permit/Documents/Final_Flyer.pdf.)
• 21st Century Science Activities (see e.g., http://www.epa.gov/pesticides/ppdc/testing/index.html) (Also note, the EPA Science Advisory Panel Meeting May 24-26, 2011 will focus on toxicity testing—Integrated Approaches to Testing and Assessment Strategies: Use of New Computational and Molecular Tools. More at http://www.epa.gov/scipoly/sap/meetings/2011/052411meeting.html.)